Two things that are closing out my August with style:
Mad Men and the September Issue of Vogue. MMmmm… good things.
Are you ready for September?!
So I know these have already made the rounds, but I am still obsessing over the J Crew Fall line! I think what I love most about the looks is that they can easily be replicated with thrifted items! The same look with less than HALF the price? I’ll take it!
I am really liking the fusion of boyish elements with girlish charm. It makes for super cute outfits obviously. I’m looking forward to incorporating several more blazers into my wardrobe this fall and I have to confess: I may or may not have thrifted some stirrup pants recently. I know. But they fit like leggings and they’re be PERFECT with boots! (see how I justify my addictions?) Ugh now I just need some crisp fall weather so I can actually wear these items! Heck, even a breeze would be nice right now! Hurry up, Fall! J. Crew is calling my name!
I’m hoping to be able to do more outfit posts (and update the shop more frequently) now that the weather is cooling down and I’m not relegated to the confines of our little rancher. We’ve got a barn outside that is PERFECT for photo shoots!
Here’s to hoping the weather lets up soon!
Just two Fall Make up trends I’m loving from the September Issue of Vogue. (I’m only about a quarter of the way through it! It’s magnificent!)
Dark eyes and berry lips from Dolce and Gabbana
and a pretty 60s look with neutral eyes and full red lips from Nordstrom.
I’m also seeing leopard print and animal “skins” everywhere- most notably some really interesting variations of croc and snakeskin!
*sigh* I hope fall comes quickly. Our “cold” snap didn’t last nearly long enough!
What trends are you planning on trying this fall?
It’s no secret that we love our dog. Lucy is our favorite little furry ball of energy in the whole world. She’s so sweet and loving, and we can’t imagine our lives without her! But I never realized before that Miss Lucy is nearly a dead ringer for Spot! (of Dick and Jane fame) What an adorable coincidence!
Here’s our Lucy:
And here are some vintage Dick and Jane Posters I found on Etsy:
Isn’t that funny? People always comment on how unique her coloring is. They are inherently drawn to her and tell us how sweet and friendly she looks. Maybe it’s because she so closely resembles this iconic children’s character! We still think she’s way more adorable. She’s just the best.
I was just featured on Miss Michelle’s blog, Bling and Bones. Miss Meesh is doing a series on Confidence called “Love You More” that I think is a really great way to connect with the young female crowd that frequent blogs like ours. I’m the first blogger featured in the series, so go check out the post and be sure to stay tuned for the other great bloggers!
Off to watch more Mad Men!
On the request (demand) of many of you, I started watching Mad Men- from episode one, season one. And as predicted, I’m officially addicted. My favorite character? Joan, obviously.
So today I’m doing my best Joan and wearing a curve-hugging dress, coral lips, and of course a pouf on the crown of my head. Because there are some days when you just have to ask, “What Would Joan Do?”
You can find the wonderful What Would Joan Do series on Miss Christina Alessi's blog!
Have a great Wednesday!
Take More Pictures. Check.
This past weekend, I was finally able to purchase a new camera. I went with the Nikon 3000. After much research, a million questions to my sister in-law and other photographer friends (and maybe a tantrum because the D90 was too expensive…) I decided this would be a good entry level camera to get me started- and I must say, I’m super impressed! I’m still learning how to use it, but I had a chance to play with it a bit this weekend around the house. So here are some pieces of our weekend!
We might as well own stock in Dunkin Donuts
I added a little heart to my collection (the turquoise one):
And rearranged the shelf my grand-daddy made:
Office still life (you know, instead of cleaning it…):
Ryan made the most amazing barbecue chicken pizza! (Lucy followed him around waiting for him to drop something)
Updated our mantle display:
Wore a pretty vintage scarf and dress to church:
And made a yummy italian dinner of spaghetti, tossed salad, and garlic bread:
The perfect way to end the weekend:
How was your weekend?
1. Take pictures every week: Still working on this one. I took tons of photos for the shop update, but haven’t quite gotten the hang of remembering to capture the small things… although I did whip up some of these this weekend and had to snap a photo:
2. Practice a more regular sleep schedule: I can proudly say that I have been quite successful at getting up at 6:30 every morning! It’s the going to bed earlier that’s getting me. I always want to stay up and whisper with Bear! We’ve got to get a handle on that :)
3. Visit a new local restaurant or shop every week. WINNER! Last week Ryan and I had a delicious Truffle Shuffle pizza from The Wedge, and yummy cupcakes from Cuppies and Jo! It felt so good to be in such a hospitable, loving environment. You can tell the people who work and own these places are really interested in bettering OKC and really love their patrons. We’ll definitely be back to both places! We also drove through Live on The Plaza, but were unable to stop as we had a movie to catch! (p.s. if you haven’t seen Scott Pilgrim vs. The World, you should. It was super cute!)
4. Work out four days a week: So far so good. I had to skip last night, as we usually have Community Group on Tuesdays, but I’m hoping to jump right back onto the track after work today! Weird that I’d rather look good on my denim leggings for fall than my bathing suit for summer?!
5. Audition for a musical. Fail. Not for lack of trying! I can’t seem to get ahold of anyone at Poteet Theatre to find out when auditions are! I hope haven’t missed them. Regardless, I’ve been perusing my music collection and choosing songs. If anyone knows when auditions are, hit me up!
So that’s the update! How are you guys doing? Leave me a link to your goals! I’d love to see!
If you’re looking for nerd glasses or wool hats, now’s your chance to pounce!
I just added these:
Plus these babies are already gone!!
Gotta jump quick, kids!
The pretty hats are sort of Pandora-ish, too I think! So pretty for fall. I’ll leave you to your shopping now!
I have to tell you something… this morning I was up at 6:30 (one of my 4 Simple Goals!) to let Lucy out and I noticed something verrrryyyy strange… it was dark. And a bit chilly… The days are already getting shorter!! I’m not getting my hopes up just yet. I’ve lived in Oklahoma all my life and I’ve never known a summer to take it’s leave any sooner than the middle of September, but it made my heart leap a little. In fact, this entire weekend made my heart leap a little… I’ll be back later to tell you more about it.
I can’t wait to wear tights and pretty dresses and sweaters while sipping on a delicious pumpkin spice latte!
What are you most looking forward to about Fall?
Lately I’ve been noticing a trend in my life: I’ve been allowing myself to fall into a funk really easily. Rather than stepping back and appreciating the ride, I’ve simply been wishing the chapters away! Then I saw Elsie’s 4 Simple Goals Challenge and I knew it was perfect timing! Who says resolutions are just for New Years? So here are my simple goals.
1. Take pictures every week. These should be pictures of everyday things. Pictures of my life. What I DON’T need are more pictures of my dog (although she’s seriously adorable…) and pictures of inventory don’t count (because I’ve already got hundreds of those.) What I really want are more pictures of Bear and I together. (psssst…. I’m in the market for a more serious camera… What are your suggestions? I’m leaning towards Nikon!)
2. Practice a more regular sleep schedule. I want to wake up at 6:30 every weekday morning, and go to sleep by 11 p.m. every week night. I’m one of those people who is seriously affected by my sleeping habits (read: I throw tantrums when I’m sleepy. I know.) I just need a more regular sleep schedule.
3. Visit a new local restaurant and/ or shop every week. This is a big one for me. I absolutely love the cool, young, artsy movement that’s happening in Oklahoma City right now (yes, here in OKC) but I have yet to really get myself involved in it. I want to get out there and meet the people who are doing cool things in our city! (Bear and I are starting this tomorrow night at The Wedge
4. Work out four days a week. A few weeks ago I tried heading straight to the gym after work for a few days, and I LOVED how empty it was! I didn’t have to wait for a machine, and I got my choice of tv channels. It was great. But then my running shoes needed to be cleaned and I got out of my (short-lived) routine. I really want to start doing this again.
5. Audition for a musical. I have been on stage my entire life. I’ve really missed performing since I graduated from college, but there’s an audition for a musical that I’d like to be in coming up soon and I think I’m going to go for it! I haven’t been in a real show in about a year-and-a-half (despite being on stage a few times a month at church) so I’m super excited to be taking this on again!
So that’s it for now. Keep it simple! You should play too! Post your goals and then link back to Elsie’s post! I cant’ wait to see what you guys can do!
Want to know one of my favorite stories from our wedding day? It happened the morning of our wedding while we were setting up for our reception at my Nana’s house. We needed to move the cake out of the box and onto the counter, so of course, Ryan (with all of his rippling muscles) was the man for the job. Except at the last second, as he placed the cake onto the counter, his finger slipped right into the front of the cake! Oh he felt soooo bad… We had to stifle our giggles as sheer panic flashed across his face! We told him not to worry about it and my mom and Nana fixed the cake as best they could, but it really didn’t matter. I loved the pictures of the cake with the icing messed up because it meant I could remember that little story forever.
:) I love that man… even if he dug into the cake too soon!
Did you guys have a theme for your wedding? Did you have any mishaps? (We had plenty. Including the rain that moved our ceremony and reception inside!)